Jawdrop Life Sciences Summit: Breathing Life into the Life Sciences
Drawing the best Life Science academics, startups, scaleups, enterprise & investors.
WCID’s inaugural Jawdrop Life Sciences Summit took place on Thursday 2 February across three venues in White City. With 97% of respondents rating the event ‘extremely’ or ‘very’ good across content, format and expectations, it is clear the day was a roaring success. The amazing energy, incredible speakers, networking opportunities and of course, the sweets trolley contributed to an insightful and enjoyable day.
This Life Sciences symposium grew out of the thriving Deep Tech Network (DTN) set up by Imperial College London and Upstream in 2019, which aims to encourage interaction and collaboration between business and academia and develop a deep-tech innovation ecosystem around Imperial’s White City Campus.
The DTN will return for this year’s first regular showcase 26 April 2023 but in the meantime, get stuck into the jaw-dropping videos and takeaways from the day.
VIDEOS + PANEL TRANSCRIPTS
Keynote by Professor Mary Ryan (Vice-Provost, Imperial College London) (watch the full video here)
Panel 1: Hard-wiring Collaboration into the Life Science community in White City (watch the full video )
- Chris Williams, PhD (SVP, Corporate Development, Autolus)
- Dr Fiona McLaughlin (Chief Scientific Officer, Avacta)
- Steve Bates OBE (CEO, BioIndustry Association)
- Cllr. Stephen Cowan (Leader, Hammersmith & Fulham Council)
- Chair: Professor Oscar Ces (Head of Chemistry Department, Imperial College London)
Panel 2: AI for good business: using information better and more responsibly. (watch the full video)
- Eleanor McLaurin (Medidata Solutions Acorn AI)
- Neil Lawrence (DeepMind Professor of Machine Learning, University of Cambridge)
- Anjali Mazumder (AI and Justice & Human Rights Lead, The Alan Turing Institute)
- Co-Chair: Professor Aldo Faisal (Professor of AI & Neuroscience, Imperial College London)
- Co-Chair: Prof Sophia Yaliraki (Professor of Theoretical Chemistry, Imperial College London)
Panel 3: How do we fund the life sciences? Reflections from investors in the ecosystem. (watch the full video)
- Dr. Avi Spier (Executive Director, Search & Evaluation, NIBR BD&L, Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research)
- Leigh Brody, PhD (Investment Manager, Albion VC)
- Dr. John Lee Allen (Managing Partner, RYSE Asset Management)
- Russ Cummings (Chairman, British Patient Capital)
- Martin Murphy (CEO and Chair, Syncona Investment Management)
- Chair: Tina Tan (Executive Editor, FirstWord HealthTech)
WANT TO KNOW WHAT WAS DISCUSSED IN DETAIL? READ THE PANEL TRANSCRIPTS